TAJ BURROW’s 50 RULES OF STYLE
Style is a tough one. Put in too much effort and you’re labelled a princess. Too little and you’re out of your league. I don’t claim to know anything about fashion but I’m starting to know what I like. I’m no peacock but after a year of sitting in design meetings and having design swatches […]
Style is a tough one. Put in too much effort and you’re labelled a princess. Too little and you’re out of your league. I don’t claim to know anything about fashion but I’m starting to know what I like. I’m no peacock but after a year of sitting in design meetings and having design swatches stuffed under my beak, I feel like I can point you in the right direction. Here’s what I’ve learned about style…
- Unless you’ve got chunky stilts like Jules Wilson, steer clear of springies in the brine.
- You spend your days in puffy skate shoes, tone it down for a more fitted kick after dark.
- Avoid hoodies and big puffy jackets on a night out.
- If you’ve got busy boardies, pair it with a plain tee. You can do a button up in the tropics, too. That kinda works.
- Similarly, a busy tee can work with plain boardies.
- Plain with plain and you’re looking old, I reckon.
- If you’ve got the chance to suit up, do it. As surfers, you spend your life dressed down. May as well step it up when you can.
- I don’t like to stand out too much. I also don’t like to be washed into a sea of anonymity. If you’re going to a party where every cat is dressed in denim, chuck on pants.
- Denim shirts? Pretty mad, if you can pull it off. Wear over a rock tee.
- And, please don’t wear sneakers with a suit unless they’re real high-end like Common Projects. Converses with suits? Yawn.
- Jeans and thongs? Please, no. Didn’t the Y2K bug wipe you out?
- Boardies at airports? Not that cool. And, I don’t think I’ve ever been on a warm plane.
- Shoes and surf boardies. I know, Bruce Irons can do it. Not me, probably not you.
- An open shirt over a tee is a simple look that’s pretty simple.
- Ridiculously long boardies look exactly that. I’m not keen to get my thighs out but right on the top of the knee is more than acceptable.
- Big wallets bulging with receipts and cards and coins? All you need are a few notes, a credit card and a licence. Drop the coins in your car or a tip jar.
- That suit you just bought? I can guarantee it’s a size too big. Take it to a tailor. For an extra hundred bucks, even a cheapish suit’ll look awesome.
- Learn how to tie a tie. It ain’t that hard and it sure impresses a girl. Ain’t nothing lamer than a grown man having his woman or mum standing behind, twisting his flaps around.
More Dane Reynolds Than You Can Stomach In One Serving
Chapter 11 TV is everything surf media needs.
Kanoa Igarashi On Concussions, Goose Chases, Title Visions, The Three Types Of Surfers CT’ers Encounter In The Water, And More
A candid and wide-ranging conversation with 2022 World #5.
Can Small-Scale Investors Buy Into Wave Pools?
Say you got $10k and a dream — what can you do?
An Early Pipeline Exit For Stephanie Gilmore Amidst GenZ Glory
Day Two of the 2023 CT season was a clear notice that the kids are…
Hand-Shaping, Glassing, And Finishing ’70s-Inspired Displacement Hulls Will Not Make You Rich
Profile: Tristan Mausse of Fantastic Acid is in it for all the right reasons.
Hassling, Head-Dips, and Broken Apple Watches
The 2023 CT is underway. Here's what happened on Day One of the Billabong Pro…
Stephanie Gilmore And Filipe Toledo Are The 2022 Stab Surfers Of The Year
Caity and Hughie take Best Juniors, “NOZ VID” wins best film, and Ho and Pringle…
Red Bulls, Crypto Bears, Former’s Six-Figure Fish, Tyler’s Multi-Millions And More
A brief catalog of the latest surf industry news and whispers.
“Definitely The First Time I’ve Gone Surfing Via Plane”
Parker Coffin, Harrison Roach, and friends tear through NZ on Roark's most well-rounded surf trip…
Pipe Preview: This Year Feels Different
With John and Gabs healthy — and the arrival of the femme next-gen — here’s…
WSL Tells Competitors: ‘You Better Like Them Apples’
Will mandating competitors to wear Apple Watches make the 2023 tour more or less engaging?
Stab Surfer of the Year: John John Florence, Italo Ferreira, Balaram Stack, Rolo Montes, and Shaun Manners
Day 9: "You can't do better than his year last year." - John John Florence
Full Moon Surfs, Impassable Puddles, And A Few Nights Spent Sleeping In A WSL Commentary Booth
A reader-submitted collection of nonconformist surf stories.
Kael Walsh Now Owns A Bitcoin, And Watched One Crypto Video
He’s officially your Stab Edit Of The Year champion.
Carissa Moore And Finn McGill Are Your 2023 Vans Triple Crown Of Surfing Champions
They both pocket $50k and tickets to this year’s Vans Pipe Masters.
The Pick-Up, Presented By Vans, Episode 5
Mason Ho helps us ring in our final week on the North Shore.