Five Women I’ve Loved
Interview by Mimi Lamontagne | Photo by Tom Carey Matt Wilkinson,25, Copacabana, NSW 1. Anamika: The first girl I remember I thinking I loved was in high school. She was in year 12 and I was in year seven. I have no idea of anything else about her, except that she was blonde and she was […]
Interview by Mimi Lamontagne | Photo by Tom Carey
25, Copacabana, NSW
1. Anamika: The first girl I remember I thinking I loved was in high school. She was in year 12 and I was in year seven. I have no idea of anything else about her, except that she was blonde and she was a babe. I remember thinking at school every day, Oh my god, she’s perfect. I never even talked to her. I mean, I was a little kid and she was a big year 12 girl. I’ve tried to look for her on Facebook or Insti since, but I’ve never found her.
2. Kirsten Dunst: What’s the girl’s name that was in Spiderman, the one that kissed him when he was hanging upside down in the rain? Kirsten Dunst. Her. She had the cutest freckles. As a kid I remember watching her in Blue Crush (actually Kate Bosworth), and I immediately fell in love with her. Then she acted in so many movies, she was everywhere. Big boobs and blonde hair. You’re a Hollywood whore, Wilko.
3. Britney-Lee: Two years ago, close to today, I met a girl up in Surfers Paradise. I kissed her and we spoke for a bit although we didn’t talk much. I just looked deep into her eyes. She was such a babe. When I met her I wasn’t drinking. I was out and I was so nervous, and she was so… mysterious. We were dancing and then got to making out and I fell in love. She was going back to New Zealand the next day and we spoke a bit after she left. She kept saying she was moving back to Oz but she never did.
4. Hilla: When I was really young, I think about 18, I went to Israel and met a girl out one night. I just remember she had the tannest skin, green eyes and a pure white dress on. We hung out for a bit and I was so in love with her. We were gunna meet up somewhere later that night but I never saw her again. We were going to a club and I think we both went, but just never met. Fuck. We never should have gone our separate ways. I think about her always.
5. Anna: Honestly, I’m guilty of loving all women. Every single day I fall in love just looking at them. But now? I love my girlfriend, Anna. She’s lovely. We met in a really, really weird way, and I won’t say it on record, but I’ll say this – we met through our parents. Her parents have a holiday house in Copacabana (my home) and we met there… I’ve found it hard in the past to hold a girlfriend, because there are just so many girls out there, but I love Anna. She’s hot, but not my usual type which is a nice change. Long, brown hair, skinny but fit, not anorexic and ghostly white, like half the girls now. She likes to surf and doesn’t get mad at me when I get drunk and pierce my ears. She just digs me, even though I can be an idiot sometimes, and I dig that.
Hassling, Head-Dips, and Broken Apple Watches
The 2023 CT is underway. Here's what happened on Day One of the Billabong Pro…
Stephanie Gilmore And Filipe Toledo Are The 2022 Stab Surfers Of The Year
Caity and Hughie take Best Juniors, “NOZ VID” wins best film, and Ho and Pringle…
Red Bulls, Crypto Bears, Former’s Six-Figure Fish, Tyler’s Multi-Millions And More
A brief catalog of the latest surf industry news and whispers.
“Definitely The First Time I’ve Gone Surfing Via Plane”
Parker Coffin, Harrison Roach, and friends tear through NZ on Roark's most well-rounded surf trip…
Pipe Preview: This Year Feels Different
With John and Gabs healthy — and the arrival of the femme next-gen — here’s…
WSL Tells Competitors: ‘You Better Like Them Apples’
Will mandating competitors to wear Apple Watches make the 2023 tour more or less engaging?
Stab Surfer of the Year: John John Florence, Italo Ferreira, Balaram Stack, Rolo Montes, and Shaun Manners
Day 9: "You can't do better than his year last year." - John John Florence
Full Moon Surfs, Impassable Puddles, And A Few Nights Spent Sleeping In A WSL Commentary Booth
A reader-submitted collection of nonconformist surf stories.
Kael Walsh Now Owns A Bitcoin, And Watched One Crypto Video
He’s officially your Stab Edit Of The Year champion.
Carissa Moore And Finn McGill Are Your 2023 Vans Triple Crown Of Surfing Champions
They both pocket $50k and tickets to this year’s Vans Pipe Masters.
The Pick-Up, Presented By Vans, Episode 5
Mason Ho helps us ring in our final week on the North Shore.
Goofyfoot Brazilian World Champion Stars In Stab’s Biggest Board-Testing Franchise
Can you guess who?
Surf Community Rallies To Raise Funds For Eddie Winner And On-Duty Hawaiian Lifeguard Luke Shepardson
Because it's the right thing to do, of course.
Interview: Caity Simmers On Machete Wars, Rihanna, Personal Project Problems, And The Rise Of Female Surf Content.
A toast to ‘Toasted.’
Stab Surfer of the Year: Creed McTaggart, Albee Layer, Laura Enever, Dane Guduaskas, and Selema Masekela
Day 8: "65 years young and charging just as hard as ever at Pipe, Backdoor,…
“I’m Not A Big Wave Guy”
How Kai Paula accidentally made his mark at Jaws three weeks after surfing it for…