Film: Sean Benik
Ryland Rubens Had A Banger 2017
The San Diego native throws his weight around.
I surf with Ryland Rubens quite a bit, which might make me biased, but this 18-year-old has a wealth of talent in his quickly stretching limbs. Validating this assessment is Ryland's 2017 competitive record (he won the North American junior series) and the above clip, which features some of his best rides from California and beyond.
Here are some observations I've made of Ryland over the years:
- he surfs Blacks at first light, every morning, without exception
- he attacks hefty sections without fear
- his style and approach could be likened to that of Gabriel Medina
- he's exceptionally powerful for a kid of his age and wiry frame
- not shown in this video are his lethal air game and backside attack
P.S. How fun does that little pointbreak tube look?