Breaking: First Clips from the New Wavepool in Switzerland
In the heart of the Alps, this is the home of the “distinguished” pool surfer.
We have entered the era of idyllic wave pools.
When the so-called arms race began, it did so on peculiar ground. Think: the middle of the desert, or the heart of Texas. But now that concepts have been proven, and demand verified, pools are beginning to fill in places that are a bit more, say, desirable.
Like the heart of the Alps.
Here’s the first clip we’ve seen from the new wave pool in Sion, Switzerland, called Alaia Bay.
This is what we know so far:
- Alaia Bay uses a Wavegarden Cove with the same size wave engine as Melbourne and Bristol, but their pool is smaller.
- The pool has approximately 50 different settings.
- This clip was filmed a few weeks ago, and the water was 6 degrees celsius/42 degrees fahrenheit. It’ll be much, much warmer in the Swiss summer.
- Alaia Bay will open to the public on May 1.
- It will cost you 81¢ – $1.11 to ride a wave there.
- Zeke is holding onto some of his clips for Snapt 4, so this little number doesn’t show all there is to be seen.
- Also per Zeke: The trip was one of the best of his life. He helped the Alaia Bay crew design a ramp and it was, indeed, proper (see above note about him icing clips). The tube setting is absurdly fun. It feels more like a real wave than most other wave pools. He got a wave in boardshorts. He may have stomped a flip.
And so there we have it. A perfect, albeit artificial, wave in one of the world’s most beautiful locales. Maybe, just maybe, the idyllic wave pool will mark the dawn of the distinguished surfer.
Instead of getting hammered drunk and eating ribs in Texas, the distinguished surfer visits 15th century castles. She deeply appreciates architecture and sleeps only in chalets. She enjoys train rides to the Matterhorn, but shares none of it on Instagram, because she is above social media. She values precision and horology. On weekends, she eats fondue and raises toasts to Ezekiel Lau with the local wormwood digestif, Génépi, which feels much like a wool blanket swaddling the soul.
Maybe, but just maybe.
We will have to see.
Unlocked: Leonardo Fioravanti’s Stab Edit Of The Year Entry
Watch 'The Cut' now, and baffle at the quality of both the waves and the…
The Pro Surfer Who Filmed A War Documentary In Ukraine
Damien Castera's got a story to tell.
Honest Review(s): O’Neill Hyperfreak Fire
Pushing the Limits of Wetsuit Tech for Men & Women
How Much Would You Pay For A Session Like This?
A cost-per-vision breakdown of Kian Martin and Tai Buddha's latest strike mission.
Ongoing Dialogue: Jack Freestone And Album’s Matt Parker On How They Get Sparks To Fly
"Nowadays, a standard thruster feels pretty alt to me." -Jack
Davo’s Death Strikes At Surfing’s Core
The underground icon battled demons til the end. His untimely demise is yet another cautionary…
Introducing A Brand New Travel Series (With A Familiar Name)
Watch the first New York episode of Stab & Red Bull's No Contest Off Tour.
Leandro Dora: Pro Surfer, Businessman, Punk Rock Festival Organizer, Spiritual Mentor, And World Title Winning Surf Coach
Meet one of the most beloved and effective individuals in the athlete's zone.
Long Read: An Angel At My Table
From Stab Issue 15, October 2006: Chris Davidson has one more shot at the big…
Watch: Kalani David’s Last Dance
A final surf part from the Hawaiian surf/skate prodigy.
Taylor Steele Won’t Let Surf Filmmaking Die Without a Fight
Movies shown, filmmaking advice, punk rock at the 2022 Solento Surf Festival.
Wait, Are We Going To See Moana Jones In The Olympics At Teahupo’o?
Team USA (women) and Japan (men) should be able to choose anyone they want to…
Donald Brink and Matt Biolos Win Mick Fanning’s Electric Acid Surfboard Test
And we had a party in Oceanside to celebrate.
Kanoa Igarashi and Kirra Pinkerton Answer Call Of Duty, Win Medals Of Honor In 2022 ISA World Games
Teams Japan, USA, and France move into Victor’s Village.