Everything You Need To Know About Quik Young Guns 2019
You under 18-years-old and surf lights out? Here’s your ticket to $10k!
Alright, if you’re a florescent adolescent ranging between 13 and 18 years old*, you’re going to wanna pay attention.
The competition for Quiksilver’s prestigious Young Guns is one week down, which means clips are pouring in; we’re already analyzing closely, hoping to elevate eight of the best groms in the world.
At the moment, we’re in the first stage of the event: the Instagram Challenge – where surfers post your clips to Insta, tag @quiksilver and #YGSurfContest, and patiently, hopefully, await our reply.
In the past, Young Guns has been separated into three categories: Airs, Rail, and Combo; this year, that old notion has been crumpled up and tossed in the bin.
There are no guidelines to what a surfer should post (other than eff’d up surf action!).
Quik is also giving $1k to the most creative entry. So, if you’re feeling weird, and artsy, we wanna see it and reward you.
This year, the top eight will be hand-selected by Stab‘s editors. Come on, impress us!
There are four phases of this event. For clarity purposes, we’re gonna bite this in bullet points. Here’s everything you need to know:
Instagram Challenge aka Slam the Gram.
– The window runs from August 1 – August 29
– Anything goes. Got a single wave you’re proud of? Post it. A tube? Get it up. A one-minute rip clip? We wanna see.
– Seriously, all you got to do is post and tag @quiksilver and #YGSurfContest. No tags, no entry. It’s that simple.
– Not sure you got the skills to make the top 8? Send in something creative and maybe win $1k.
The Top 8
– Our top 8 favorite entrees will be hand-selected and announced on September 8th.
– The 8 will be pulled from the #YGSurfContest tag and will be one step closer to the final in Portugal.
– Only one surfer from the Top 8 will make it into the Top 4.
The Top 4
– The Top 8 will be put into a public vote.
– The Top 8’s clips will be posted on Quiksilver’s Instagram stories, and the Young Gun with the most votes will move onto the final along with three other finalists hand-selected by the decorated judging panel of Mikey Wright, Zeke Lau and Kanoa Igarashi.
– The Top 4 will be announced on September 10.
– The Final includes a dream trip to Portugal
– Accommodation at Lapoint Surf Camp in Ericeira
– The final runs from November 1 – 8
– Whoever does the best surfing over the weeklong final will win $10k and the title of the best under 18 grom in the world.
*If you’re not under the age of 18 on November 10, 2019, then sorry, you’re out. On the flip side, you need to be 13 on August 1, 2019 to qualify for the Young Guns event.
How John John Lost To A Surfer From Germany
The underdogs are barking: here's what's happened at the 2023 ISA World Games thus far.
SEOTY: This German-Born, Spanish-Speaking Ubermensch’s Clip Is For The Every-mensch
Watch Leon Glatzer make the ocean his Autobahn in "Águila".
“We Woke Up And A Bear Had Chewed A Wetsuit To Bits”
Didn't know there were so many slabs in Canada, eh?
2023 ISA World Games Preview: Olympic Ballyhoo With 4 New Countries Competing
And why El Salvador’s President says that surfing is “one of the pillars” of the…
WSL CEO Erik Logan Responds To ‘Unfair Judging’ Claims In Open Letter
“It is a breach of league policy, for surfers to choose not to engage with…
‘Vertentes’ Is 16-Minutes Of Seamless Surfing And Self-Animated Artisanship
Time off tour has done nothing but good for Tomas Hermes.
The Man Who Tortures Surfboards For Science
Here's what Dr. Luca Oggiano and Donald Brink think surfboard manufacturers are getting wrong.
Gabriel Medina Gives Scathing Review Of WSL Judging After Controversial Surf Ranch Final
‘The surf community has been mesmerized by the poor clarity and consistency of judging for…
Griffin Colapinto And Carissa Moore Lift Lumber At Groundhog Day Rodeo
"There's so much in your control that you almost overthink things."
Stab In The Dark With Italo Ferreira, Episode 4
And the shaper behind 2023’s best high-performance shortboard is…
Your Loss, Tahiti’s Win
Betonline.AG are donating 100% of their earnings (your losses) from Lemoore towards Tahitian flood victims.
The Surf Ranch Pro Preview: 2% Wildcards, Sudden-Death Duels, And Game Theory
Same swamp, (slightly) different rodeo.
Exclusive: Stab Speaks With El Niño
"I’m just focusing on staying potent, moist and warm. I’m not really thinking that far…
Comments are a Stab Premium feature. Gotta join to talk shop.
Already a member? Sign In
Want to join? Sign Up