Any Judge But Kelly Slater, Says Albee Layer
Some lighthearted Stab High politicking.
If you must know, the answer is yes – after hours of groveling and pleading, Albee Layer finally received the Stab High invite that he so badly coveted.
Just kidding, he hardly had to ask.
Because after watching Albee hit the section this past May, we couldn’t pass up the opportunity to see him sticking a double rotation – or as Chris Cote would call it, a four-hundred-and-eighty-gazillion degree spin – under the Stab High spotlight.
Whether or not Kelly decides to swing the red pen, Stab High will be judged by a triumvirate of board sport greats using a highly critical criteria, as designed by Stab High’s true head judge – me.
- Waves will be scored from 0 to 100 on a static, event-wide scale (judges will be able to look back at past-completed airs to keep their scoring consistent throughout the event).
- Only airs will be scored. Turns/blowtails/club-sandwiches will not count.
- Airs must be completed with control and ridden out under the power of the wave, with at least the nose of the board breaking free from the whitewater. (WSL rulez)
- Scoring criteria: We’re gonna be stingy with our scores, but only because we know how good these guys are! For a benchmark, we’ve set Seth Moniz’s backflip (currently the best air landed at the Waco site) at a clean 80-pointer. Here’s what the airs will be judged on:
- Height (determined by the lowest part of board or body)
- Speed/Distance covered (has anybody cleared the whole section yet?)
- Style (if it looks good, it scores great)
- Progression and creativity (any weird grabs, tweaks, spins, rolls, and flips will be noted!)
- Landing (the cleaner, the better)
Some might say that setting Seth Moniz’s most impeccable flip at just 80/100 points is cruel and unusual, but here’s the thing: the gross score of a wave is meaningless. The only thing that matters is where that score lands in relation to all the others.
So yeah, to get a 90 or above, guys will have to do something crazy. That’s the whole incentive.
And while the above criteria will guide our judges’ decisions, scores will ultimately come down to subjective feelings inspired by the maneuvers. As humans, we’re slaves to our emotions after all.
So go big, boys.
Buy your tickets for the event here.
Stab Surfer of the Year: John John Florence, Italo Ferreira, Balaram Stack, Rolo Montes, and Shaun Manners
Day 9: "You can't do better than his year last year." - John John Florence
Full Moon Surfs, Impassable Puddles, And A Few Nights Spent Sleeping In A WSL Commentary Booth
A reader-submitted collection of nonconformist surf stories.
Carissa Moore And Finn McGill Are Your 2023 Vans Triple Crown Of Surfing Champions
They both pocket $50k and tickets to this year’s Vans Pipe Masters.
The Pick-Up, Presented By Vans, Episode 5
Mason Ho helps us ring in our final week on the North Shore.
Goofyfoot Brazilian World Champion Stars In Stab’s Biggest Board-Testing Franchise
Can you guess who?
Surf Community Rallies To Raise Funds For Eddie Winner And On-Duty Hawaiian Lifeguard Luke Shepardson
Because it's the right thing to do, of course.
Interview: Caity Simmers On Machete Wars, Rihanna, Personal Project Problems, And The Rise Of Female Surf Content.
A toast to ‘Toasted.’
Stab Surfer of the Year: Creed McTaggart, Albee Layer, Laura Enever, Dane Guduaskas, and Selema Masekela
Day 8: "65 years young and charging just as hard as ever at Pipe, Backdoor,…
“I’m Not A Big Wave Guy”
How Kai Paula accidentally made his mark at Jaws three weeks after surfing it for…
A toes in the sand, phone in the lagoon account of the 10th Eddie Aikau…
Breaking: Another CT Rookie Injured Before First Event
Sophie McCulloch pulls out of Pipeline due to Snapper Rocks snafu.
Watch: ‘Toasted,’ By Caity Simmers
Your favorite surfer directs, edits, and stars in her first feature film.
On-Duty North Shore Lifeguard Luke Shepardson Wins The Eddie Aikau
Local man prevails over 39 big-wave heavyweights at 29ft @ 19 seconds Waimea.
The Eddie Aikau Invitational Is On
Grab a beverage and enjoy surfing's Super Bowl Sunday
The Women’s CT Is About To See A Generational Shift
Only three women have won a Title in the past 15 years. Here's why that's…
“One For Marcio” – Albee Layer’s Tribute To Mad Dog
Imagine treating 30ft Jaws like Backdoor.
Stab Surfer of the Year: Noa Deane, Jamie O’Brien, Parker Coffin, Cliff Kapono, and Brendan Buckley
Day 7: "It's like he feels more comfortable when it’s as gnarly as it gets."…