Eight Young Guns Just Took One Step Closer To $10k
Who said meeting kids on the internet was a bad idea?
The hourglass ran out for Quiksilver’s Young Guns Instagram submissions last week. And, after careful deliberation, we (being Stab) plucked our eight favorite groms out of the hashtags.
This was a tall, anxiety plagued task. Kids these days are tearing waves faster than a paper shredder through legal documents. There were tubes, rotations, flips, carves, and claims. There were good music selects, and a few songs, that, to our pious ears, were downright appalling. But something as trivial as music choice did not weigh in our selections — we looked for surfing in its purest, most unadulterated form. We looked for rail, barrels, and punts. And we didn’t look for them in isolation, we wanted to send well-rounded rippers into phase two: The public vote.
The top eight (in no particular order are):
Here’s how Phase II will go down (The voting starts September 10):
– The voting period will take place from Sept 10-17th.
– On @quiksilver’s Instagram story, each day one of the top eight’s clips will be posted.
– Each clip will feature an Emoji slider which will allow people to cast their vote and send whichever surfer present to the final.
– Every clip will live on Quiksilver’s story for 24 hours.
– Once they’ve all been posted and voted on, the Young Gun with the most votes will earn a spot in the final (only one out of the top eight will advance to the final)
– The final four will consist of Mikey Wright, Kanoa Igarashi and Zeke Lau’s picks plus one from the top eight selected by the public.
– Then it’s off to Portugal for a chance at $10k
We’re Having Trouble Picking Snapt4’s ‘Best Barrel’ and Monster ‘Maneuver’
Here are the official nominees. Help us out.
Stab Podcast: Will Peninsula Boy Kelly Slater Spin His Way To Glory At Haleiwa?
Let's hope nobody leaves a menacing note on his car.
Watch: Lucas Godfrey Is The Most Barreled Man Of The Summer
Puerto Escondido has rarely been surfed like this.
Every Once In A While, A Genuine Super-Talent Rears His Pretty Little Head
Bronson Meydi might be that kid.
Haydenshapes Is Doing A Flash Sale On Their Most Precious Blood Diamonds
7 limited edition ‘altered’ surfboards, discounts, and an exclusive art series rollout across stock models.
Let’s Get You A Free Private Session At URBNSURF
We're treating six Stab Premium members to a free surf and tickets to the URBNSURF…
Nic Von Rupp Just Tamed A Giant Nazaré Tube By Hand (No Ski)
Yes, this is a paddle-in.
Watch: The Best ‘Shit Waves’ We’ve Seen With Dane Reynolds And Co.
Everything is relative.
Luca Padua Is A Badass Motherfucker
Meet the 19-year old big-wave prodigy being mentored by Laird Hamilton.
“My Wife Probably Wouldn’t Have Been Bitten By A Pit Viper If We Lived On A Charter Boat”
A land-based surf camp owner explains how his life and business differ from a boat-based…
Opinion: In The Age Of The Vlog, It’s Getting Harder To Find Good Surf Films
Surfing and storytelling are two entirely different skillsets.
Cole Houshmand Gets Crapped On By A Bird, Proceeds To Score Out Of His Mind
Smooth, surgical lines from the San Clemente gentleman in 'Good Luck'.
Erin Brooks Is A Rare Type Of Talent — We Can’t Stop Watching
Watch the Ladybird air-drop into Kandui caverns with a grin on her face.