Watch: S.U.R.F Season 3, Episode 1 - Stab Mag

Watch: The Electric Acid Surfboard Test, Starring Shaun Manners


Watch: S.U.R.F Season 3, Episode 1

Ozzy, Krooky, Jel and Vinny have $200 and a case of beer to buy waves off strangers in a busy lineup.

cinema // Oct 16, 2023
Words by Stab
Reading Time: < 1 minute

How much is a wave worth?

Byron Bay’s ‘eat, pray, love’ mantra is the first thing that goes out the window when the swell swings east. In the dog-eat-dog world of wave-catching, the bottom-feeders typically get nothing and the rich… well they get everything. 

It is in this chaotic marine supermarket that Ozzy Wright, Ari ‘Krooky’ Browne and Jaleesa and Jake Vincent, armed with $200 and Byron Bay Brewery coupons, attempt to buy their way to the best waves on offer.

Watch as the surfers use interpretive dance moves, method acting, desperate pleas and most of all moolah – in the hopes of striking a deal with a complete stranger. 

This is the first of four episodes (dropping weekly) where our four surfers compete to win $10K thanks to our friends at Byron Bay Brewery. It will be the third time we have given away our barely life-changing small pile of cash. 

To help us decide who wins we asked 9 (semi-)local expert judges including: Stace Galbraith, Jacob Boylan, Kahu Andronicus, Karis Simmons, Josie Pendergast, Danny Wills, Vaughan Blakey, Shinya Dalby and Pauline Menczer – to determine who did best. 

Because they are experts, they determine 70% of the vote. The remaining 30% will be decided by the audience vote at our screening party in Byron on the 27th of October – which you should come to and tell all your friends about.

Details below:

  • Location: The Byron Bowlo @ 18 – 20 Marvell Street, Byron Bay.
  • Kick off at 5pm until close. Feel free to come early and roll the shoulder over.
  • Free beers until they run out

We hope to see you there.


Comments are a Stab Premium feature. Gotta join to talk shop.

Already a member? Sign In

Want to join? Sign Up


Most Recent

Why Is The WSL (Really) Not Going To J-Bay In 2024?

An analysis of politics, exchange rates and sponsorship dollars at South Africa's premier point.

Dec 3, 2023

Teahupo’o Reef “Massacred” By Olympic Barge

Should surfers boycott the IOC?

Dec 3, 2023

Two Percent’s “Smooch” Starts With Kanye, Ends With Crosby, Lives Up To The Hype

A visual representation of California's world-class surf renaissance.

Dec 2, 2023

The Electric Acid Surfboard Test Starring Shaun Manners, Episode Two

Solitude at last.

Dec 1, 2023

“It’s A Huge Cash Prize And We Never Make Money Anymore — We’re All Only Thinking About Winning”

Nine young talents respond and reflect on their 2023 Vans Pipe Masters invites.

Dec 1, 2023

The Floater: Relevant Roof Ride Or Unflushable Turd?

Careful what you wish for, floater haters. Because in a surf world without them, Kelly…

Nov 30, 2023

Full Frame: Portuguese Serendipity 

Torrey Meister by Joao Bracourt, somewhere in southern Portugal.

Nov 28, 2023

Red Bull No Contest Drops Anchor In Tahiti, Gets Treated To Region’s Deadly/Non-Deadly Waves + Address Tower Controversy

Featuring the first man to surf Teahupo’o, the Spartan, and two (likely) future Olympic medallists. 

Nov 28, 2023

Russell Bierke’s SEOTY ‘Snapped’ Noa Deane + Conjured Demonic Screams At The Opening Prem In Milton

‘Not many people treat big, solid waves like a fucking play pen,” explains Noz.

Nov 28, 2023

The 10th SEOTY Entry Features The Odd 13-Second Cathedral

Watch ISA World Junior Champ Grayson Hinrichs in 'Surfish'.

Nov 26, 2023

Jai Glindeman Samples Parko’s ‘Golden Child’ Board, Unlocks New Facets Of Already-Stellar Surfing

Come bask in the ascension.

Nov 25, 2023

Full Frame: Line ‘Em Up

The other Desert Point by Alan Van Gysen.

Nov 24, 2023

Shaun Manners Paddled 47.25 km In 2.5 Days On A Pie And Beer Diet, And All He Got Was This Stupid Stab Series

Sweat matters. Manners sweats.

Nov 23, 2023

QS-ANON: The Argument Against A Regionalized Tour

Competitors have fewer opportunities and longer gaps between them. 

Nov 22, 2023

Did You Know Dillon Perillo Is One Of Dane Reynolds’ Favorite Surfers?

Here's what happened to the guy who went toe-to-toe with JJF in Dear Suburbia.

Nov 21, 2023

Red Bull No Contest Gets Popped By Morocco’s Endless Pleasure Points, The Biggest Mosque In Africa

“Came for six days, stayed for two months.”

Nov 21, 2023

A Keg-Packing Aussie Barista Who Once Visited The Emerald Isles And Never Left

SEOTY: Noah Lane in 'Blow in'.

Nov 21, 2023

Eyeball: The 60 Surfers In The 2023 Vans Pipe Masters 

Invitees include: John Florence, Carissa Moore, Russell Bierke, Shaun Manners, Bruno Santos, Bethany Hamilton +…

Nov 21, 2023