WSL Lifts Vasco Ribeiro’s Drug Suspension To Compete In Pumping Morocco QS — But ISA Says No - Stab Mag
843 Views
Vasco Ribeiro. Comp-ier days. Photo: Pedro Mestre/WSL

WSL Lifts Vasco Ribeiro’s Drug Suspension To Compete In Pumping Morocco QS — But ISA Says No

The Portuguese surfer stays in recess until July 2026.

news // Feb 23, 2025
Words by Pedro Ramos
Reading Time: 4 minutes

Despite being banned from competition until July 2026, the World Surf League initially granted Portuguese surfer Vasco Ribeiro permission to compete in Morocco this week.

The former World Junior Champion and five-time Portuguese league winner was set to make his return at the QS 3,000 Pro Taghazout Bay after a challenging hiatus. Ribeiro received a three-year suspension in 2023 after refusing a doping test conducted by an ISA Doping Control Officer at his home in Cascais in April 2022.

Once touted as Portugal’s next great surfing talent, the now 30-year-old Ribeiro faced a tumultuous period following his suspension. He later attributed his absence from the sport to personal struggles with addiction and a lack of awareness of the severity of his decision.

Speaking from Morocco, where he had been preparing for his comeback, Ribeiro told Stab, “I recently realized that my suspension only applies to ISA and Olympic contests, so I can take part in other competitions, including the WSL. I spoke to my family and my lawyer and decided to go ahead.”

Vasco’s last contest appearance was at the 2023 Quiksilver Festival, organized by his good friend Jeremy Flores. Photo: Fred Egli

In a statement shared ahead of his return, Ribeiro expressed gratitude to the WSL for the opportunity to compete again. “I’m very grateful to the WSL for this opportunity to get back to doing what I love most, which is competing,” he said. “I want to take this opportunity to better myself, to prove to myself that I’m capable of continuing at the highest level.”

Acknowledging his struggles, he added, “I went through a period of major difficulty with addiction, which forced me to relearn how to organize my life and live without drugs. It’s an ongoing process and a daily commitment, but with the support of my family, friends, and professionals, I’ve managed to pick myself up and find myself again.”

He concluded, “If my journey can inspire or help someone to see that there is always a way back, then all this effort will have been worth it. Now I’m looking forward to putting on the jersey and getting back to the heats.”

Throughout this winter season, Ribeiro has been a standout in freesurfs, frequently seen in some of Portugal’s finest lineups. “I’ve spent the past year surfing as much as I can, spending time with my family, and, most importantly, staying clean and healthy.”

Coming from behind and against a ticking clock, Ribeiro had already set a few goals for this chapter of his career. “I know the level on the QS and Challenger Series is always improving, but I’ve been training hard and surfing a lot, so I’m feeling confident. I want to take things as they come, but I feel like I have the level to get to the CS this year, so that would be my main goal.”

Despite being allowed to compete in Morocco, Ribeiro remained barred from other events worldwide, including Liga MEO — the Portuguese surfing league — which he has won five times. Stab reached out to Francisco Rodrigues, President of the National Surfers Association (ANS) and Head of Liga MEO, which follows official rules set by the Portuguese Surfing Federation (FPS).

Rodrigues stated, “The FPS is a member of the International Olympic Committee (IOC). Therefore, as of now, out of full respect not only for all the surfing organizations involved (ISA, WSL, and FPS) but also for Vasco Ribeiro, we acknowledge that his suspension remains in effect until mid-2026. This is subject to change if we receive any further official instructions from the FPS.”

Vasco has received a CT wildcard for Supertubos five times. Photo: Damien Poullenot/WSL

ISA Says No

The initial decision to allow Ribeiro to compete in Morocco came directly from WSL HQ, without consulting the ISA and the company’s legal counsel.

Considering that a regional QS event has no implications on Olympic qualification, the ban was seen as counterproductive by the WSL. Many believed that allowing Ribeiro to compete would be more beneficial in helping him overcome personal struggles than sidelining him from the sport entirely.

However, this Friday — with Ribeiro already in Morocco in preparation for the event — he and his lawyer received a letter from the WSL, stating that, following further instructions from the ISA, his suspension had been reinstated. A WSL spokesperson told Stab:

“Following further correspondence with the International Surfing Association (ISA), the WSL has determined that Vasco Ribeiro will not be eligible to compete in the upcoming WSL event in Morocco. The WSL is currently reviewing these developments to determine whether the ISA’s current ban will apply to all WSL events.”

A familiar sight this season — Vasco, close to home.

Sources close to Ribeiro described how motivated he was to compete again, making the last-minute decision a devastating blow.

Competing close to home and in familiar conditions, the Pro Taghazout Bay event could have provided the powerful natural-footer with a crucial opportunity to reestablish himself in the competitive circuit (see below for Day 1’s conditions).

A brutal setback for Vasco — having the carrot dangled and then ripped away before he could take a bite. Due to the abrupt change, and in acknowledgment of the late notice, the WSL will be covering Ribeiro’s event registration fees and travel expenses.

Comments

Comments are a Stab Premium feature. Gotta join to talk shop.

Already a member? Sign In

Want to join? Sign Up

Advertisement

Most Recent

Rebuttal: Never Stop Watching Surf Movies 

Social media makes us anxious and depressed. Surf content does not.

Feb 16, 2026

How Italo Ferreira Bought His Way Into Nike, The Reality Of Fatherhood, And Embracing Global Scrutiny

The Stab Interview with the most sleep-deprived man in surfing.

Feb 13, 2026

Will A GOAT Bite On Gnaraloo’s $17 Million Price Tag?

World Champs and Hollywood circle a red-dirt kingdom that can never truly be owned.

Feb 13, 2026

Dane Reynolds On His Favorite Surfer, Storytelling Through Surf Media, And Releasing Former’s New Film

Our first official episode of StabMic is live. 

Feb 12, 2026

Watch: Episode 03 of Stab In The Dark X Starring Kelly Slater

The untold story behind the GOAT’s split from CI + a three-layer wax cake theory.

Feb 11, 2026

Why You Should Stop Watching Surf Videos*

Instagram reels and the twisted fantasy of the parasocial surfing life.

Feb 9, 2026

Breaking: Rogue Boat Plows Through Steamer Lane, Capsizes With Family Of Six Onboard

Stab writer Holden Trnka saves a kid, gives a first hand report.

Feb 8, 2026

Watch: How $13M And 70,000 Tons Of Granite Changed An Australian Surf Town Forever

A documentary on Midds Reef — the world's best artificial wave — by Rhys Jones.

Feb 7, 2026

Pipeline Was Really, Really Good Today

CT qualifications, countless nine point rides, Australian domination, and the journey of a local hero.

Feb 6, 2026

Why Chapter 11’s Doors Are Shut + Why Former’s Output Is About To Spike

Former drops teaser for upcoming feature, ‘Defect’, starring the entire frozen pea army.

Feb 5, 2026

Joyride: What’s In An Asymmetrical Surfboard?

An asymmetrical study of Lovelace's Zambal and Satellite models.

Feb 5, 2026

What Happens When The Best Surfer On Earth Leaves The Tour?

The second order effect of John John's departure.

Feb 4, 2026

Velvet Pipeline And Nine Point Faceplants

A CT qualification update from the North Shore.

Feb 3, 2026

“It’s Louder Than An Atomic Bomb. If You Were Anywhere Near It, Your Head Would Explode.”

The Southern Ocean is now open for international pillaging.

Feb 2, 2026

“They Don’t Call It The Challenger Series For Nothing”

Local excellence and universal beatdowns on Day Two of the Pipe Challenger.

Feb 1, 2026

How Billy Kemper Convinced The WSL (And The Mayor) To Have Locals In The Pipe Challenger

And more musings from the ground here on the North Shore.

Jan 31, 2026

Exclusive Interview: Why John Florence Put The CT On Indefinite Pause

"The tour has a cap. I want to find a space where everything grows bigger."

Jan 29, 2026

Is Firing Pipeline Too Much To Ask For?

The inaugural Pipeline Challenger event starts in 24 hours. And we're en route.

Jan 28, 2026
Advertisement