…Lost Launches Fresh Run Of Boards In New ‘BlackSheepBuilt’ Construction
Mayhem releases limited run of fast, flexy (and affordable!) carbon-deck ‘Black Sheep’ models.
Lost Surfboards have launched a fresh run of boards in their new space age ‘BlackSheepBuilt’ construction.
What dat mean?
BlackSheepBuilt boards use lightweight 1.5lb virgin EPS and advanced “Triax-NCF” (Non-Crimp Fabric) high-quality carbon fiber on the deck to create a strong, fast and lively surfboard. Basically they feel electric underfoot, allow you to load up pressure like a spring, leverage all the magical properties of carbon but with a retail-friendly price tag.
Here’s how it works
- Space age “Triax” carbon is laminated only on the deck and kept short on the bottom rail which keeps them from becoming rigid. Essentially they are engineered for responding rapidly and maintaining a forgiving flex pattern underfoot.
- The combination of both Triax Carbon and fiberglass helps BlackSheepBuilt boards feel light, pliable and forgiving, but familiar at the same time.
The unique performance of BlackSheepBuilt boards comes from the Triax Carbon, which combines a triple-axis +30/-30°/0 layup. It is an “un-crimped” (flatter, straighter), multi-directional carbon, which enhances and controls torsional (twisting) force from rail to rail.
- The 0° nose to tail fibers provides a lively “stringer” increasing flex rebound speed and the feeling of a quick response, when loaded up under pressure.
- The +30/-30° fibers control and speed up the return of twisting force through the length of the board.
Why is that a good thing?
- Multi-axial carbon fiber is a great alternative to traditional woven carbon fibers because it is made up of alternately aligned layers of unidirectional carbon reinforcement. Because it’s not woven, the fibers do not “crimp” under and over perpendicular fibers, in the way that traditional woven fabrics do. The fibers lay flatter, retain less resin, remain smoother, straighter and stronger, with a more natural flex.
- Unlike traditional woven fabrics, there is also no 90 (degree) rail to rail carbon, which creates weak points and easy fissures for deck buckles, cracks and breaks.
- The +30/-30° fabric orientation, the torsion force and pressure from the surfer’s feet radiates outward to more of the rail line, creating greater drive, connection and control with the edges and perimeter of the board. Strength and stability underfoot and along the rail line, work together as one.
A quick word of caution
WARNING: Carbon Fiber surfboards can easily get hot! They’re dark…and like all things dark, they soak sun and heat up. The BlackSheepBuilt boards are made with lightweight EPS foam and a Carbon Fiber shell. They are a high end surfboard construction and should be treated accordingly. i.e. do not leave them in direct sunlight, while bronzing on the beach. They will get hot and it is possible for them to overheat and bubble up.
Lost recommends keeping these boards safe in a heat reflective day bag if you plan on hanging out in the sun, before or after surfing. If the boards do get dinged, let them dry out and fix them properly. With proper care and a little love, these boards will take the day to day bumps and bruises very well, remain light and extremely lively on the waves and provide hundreds of days of surfing enjoyment.
How do I get one?
Most of the pre-sale inventory across four models: SUB DRIVER 2.0, RAD RIPPER, RETRO TRIPPER and the RNF-96 have been sold already. However, BlackSheepBuilt are also now available for custom order, in any and all Lost Surfboard models through participating BlackSheepBuilt, Lost Surfboards retailers, in the USA.
You can read more about them here.
NOTE: This is a USA only launch.
Can A GQ Cover Boy Take Out Teahupo’o?
Kauli Vaast is your incredibly handsome Tahiti trials winner.
Watch: Ramble On With Caity Simmers
An action-rich tour behind the scenes of her triumphant first voyage to Oz.
PSA: Surf Filmers Not Welcome In Nicaragua
Cameras and drones are being seized on arrival, Stab spoke with two recent visitors.
Inside The Alternative Surfboard Marketing Machine
Two of the biz's best — Matt Parker and Blake Peters — spill many beans.
The Tragic Parallels Between The Murder Of Ricardo Dos Santos & 8x World Jiu Jitsu Champion Leandro Lo
Two Brazilian sporting icons killed brazenly by off-duty police officers.
The Pick-Up, Vans US Open: In The Belly Of The Beast
Finger flips, shaping with Zion Wright, slurpees, Hawaiian takeovers, and the king of Surfline rewinds.
Albee Layer Discusses His Not-So-Budding Acting Career And The Upcoming Film “Sweet Adventure”
"Matt and Nora were tripping a little harder than I was just because they weren't…
How A Former CT Surfer Gets “Absolute Beginners” Barreled In A Matter Of Months
Luke Stedman elaborates on his Blackball surf programs.
Sweeter Than Stolen Honey
A versatile Haydenshapes x Dylan Graves HP (and soft board) tested in weird waves.
15-Year-Old Ladybird Erin Brooks Makes Final In All-Men’s Tuberiding Event
And Clay Marzo takes the dub.
Are We Looking At Reef Sculpting The Wrong Way?
The pros, cons, possibilities, and mechanisms of changing reefs to suit our surfing desires.
The Gudang Trio Discusses Brotherhood And How To Make It To The Mountain Top Together
Positive sibling vibrations we should all aspire to.
Everyone’s Local Zone Has A Mythical Wave
Kai Lenny, Imaikalani DeVault, Eli Hanneman and friends get to surf theirs.
The Pick-Up, Vans US Open: Harry Bryant Vs. The Wedge
A lot of swell, stolen identities, surf masochists, mutilated noses, The Wedge, skull-crushing pylons, and…
First Look: The 2022 Electric Acid Surfboards
Did our questionable EAST gamble pay off for Mick Fanning's Maldivian quiver ?