Kelly Slater’s Guide To Everlasting Youth
The Tao of Health, Sex, and Longevity.
“Surfing on the scene like a young Kelly Slater.” So goes the final line of the first verse of the 2009 hit(?) “Swag Surfin” by Fast Life Yungstaz.
The song was referenced early on by GQ health columnist Joe Holder in his recent interview with the 11x world champ for the New York City-based men’s magazine. The reference was meant to demonstrate how widespread Kelly’s fame has grown. Men in middle America with no ocean (or Surf Ranch) in sight know his name.
I’ve never been keen on learning how celebs or athletes keep in shape. It seems like vaguely similar stories about leaning off sugar and lifting more weights. But this is Kelly, and just his existence on tour, never mind that he’s such a threat in heavy surf…at 50 years old…is unprecedented. So when he spoke with GQ about how he’s kept it together all these years, physically and mentally, we had to check it out.
Here are a few of our favorite tidbits from the GQ piece:
- Kelly’s favorite breakfast is a big healthy smoothie, fresh fruit, protein powders and a few “health remedies.”
- He takes an alphabet soup of plant-based supplements. Super friendly sounding vitamins like COQ10, GABA and 5-HTP.
- Got some funk you just can’t shake? Try the Master Cleanse, “like two weeks of your life dedicated to not eating food, people think you’re crazy.”
- The Gracies, the renowned world-class jujitsu family, gave Kelly his first theories on diet that led him to a “Bible to me in my 20s” called The Tao of Health, Sex, and Longevity.
- Kelly has contemplated retirement, especially after winning Pipeline this year. It looks like it’s the Olympics or bust for Kelly. “If I can really put everything into surfing next year and make the Olympics then the Olympics will be the end for me, but if not, I might finish before then.”
Kelly’s final answer might be the most telling. When asked to give advice for someone trying to become healthy he responded, “I know when—if—I make it to 80 or 90, if something else doesn’t kill me off, I want to be looking out for myself. I don’t want someone taking care of me or feeding me or any of that—I wanna have a good, long life and be healthy, and so I think about 80 years old right now when I’m 50.”
Introducing A Brand New Travel Series (With A Familiar Name)
Watch the First Three Episodes of Stab & Red Bull No Contest Off Tour.
Leandro Dora: Pro Surfer, Businessman, Punk Rock Festival Organizer, Spiritual Mentor, And World Title Winning Surf Coach
Meet one of the most beloved and effective individuals in the athlete's zone.
Long Read: An Angel At My Table
From Stab Issue 15, October 2006: Chris Davidson has one more shot at the big…
Watch: Kalani David’s Last Dance
A final surf part from the Hawaiian surf/skate prodigy.
Taylor Steele Won’t Let Surf Filmmaking Die Without a Fight
Movies shown, filmmaking advice, punk rock at the 2022 Solento Surf Festival.
Wait, Are We Going To See Moana Jones In The Olympics At Teahupo’o?
Team USA (women) and Japan (men) should be able to choose anyone they want to…
Donald Brink and Matt Biolos Win Mick Fanning’s Electric Acid Surfboard Test
And we had a party in Oceanside to celebrate.
Kanoa Igarashi and Kirra Pinkerton Answer Call Of Duty, Win Medals Of Honor In 2022 ISA World Games
Teams Japan, USA, and France move into Victor’s Village.
The Best Euro Surf Trips That Mightn’t Be On Your Radar
Want to know which less-trodden nation offers the most potential?
Former CT Surfer Chris Davidson Passes Away At Age 45
A radical life tragically ends outside a bar in New South Wales.
The Team Ukraine Interview
“There are mines near the shore, and already a lot of people have died…so it’s…
Mormaii Founder Raided By Brazilian Feds On Suspicion Of Plotting Against Democracy
Curiously, he's the second surf brand founder to become entangled in a political scandal of…
The Electric Acid Surfboard Test With Mick Fanning, Episode 4
There are three boards left. Which one is Mick taking home?
Photos: Welcome To Vans Stab High Indonesia, Presented By Monster Energy
Welcome to Lakey Peak. Now do airs.