Shipsterns was very blue on Friday
Because you follow Kelly Slater on Instagram, you already know that he was at Shipsterns Bluff in Tasmania on Friday. You also know the waves were very, very good. Here’s a few things that you may not know about Kelly’s day out there on Friday. – The only thing he bought from the service station […]
Because you follow Kelly Slater on Instagram, you already know that he was at Shipsterns Bluff in Tasmania on Friday. You also know the waves were very, very good.
Here’s a few things that you may not know about Kelly’s day out there on Friday.
– The only thing he bought from the service station before hitting the boat for the day was water. All of the rest of his food he’d brought from the Gold Coast the night before, including beef jerky and his own home-made muffins (of which he was very generous with).
– He called the size of the waves were six-to-15 feet (the looking down angle here quashes the wave size).
– He was riding a 6’0″ surfboard. He was contemplating taking his 5’4″ out.
– He spent two to three hours sleeping on the rocks because of crippling stomach pain. “Foetal attraction” he said of his foetal sleeping position.
– The best wave he’s ever seen ridden at Shipsterns in real life is this one of Mikey Brennan’s (as well as being one of the most impressive rides he’s ever seen).
– He’s as passionate as taking shots of cliffs and scenics with his GoPro as much as the rest of us when on a surf trip.
– At 14, he’d never even seen a wave the size of Riley Laing’s that closes out the clip here. “That is the wave of that grom’s life!”
– He didn’t ride the waves of the day. That title belonged to Laurie Towner or Wade Goodall. Marti Paradisis rode the biggest wave of the day: the same wave Kelly shot with his iPhone and uploaded to Instagram.
Other surfers featured here are the Hollmer Cross brothers, Ignacio Salazar, Danny Griffiths and Karl Attkins.
Authentic Brands Group Buys Boardriders For An Estimated $1.3 Billion
Quiksilver, Billabong, and RVCA join Volcom under the same umbrella. What does that mean for…
There’s No Such Thing As An Unremarkable Hawaiian Winter
Allow the O'Neill team to explain.
Watch: ‘Vacation’ Presented By Monster Energy
Stab Highway winners visit Kandui Resort.
The Stab Interview: Shaun Manners
On signing with Former, landing the cover of Surfing World and TSJ, his Cult of…
Why You Should Never Not Paddle Out
How an impromptu 30 minute session made a Jamaican surfer $1,000 richer.
Rio Waida Has Been Surfing Onshore, Oversized Bells Alone
...and he might not go home all year.
John Florence Releases Long-Form Piece On The 243km Great Ocean Squiggle
Tourism Victoria going, ‘he just did our job for us’.
Japanese Rice Farmer Enjoys Frightening Sumatran West Bowls
Kaito Ohashi is on his best behavior.
Watch: When People Like This Speak, We Listen
Raw, extended conversations with Clyde Aikau and Eddie Aikau winner Luke Shepardson.
Diamond Tail = Diamond Hands?
We'll explain everything in the Rusty D-Min Joyride.
Behold Australia’s Nine & NZ’s Two Challenger Series Qualifiers*
May the Southern Cross smile upon you at Snapper.
An Unordinary Life Structured Around A Tidal Bore
Long Read: The life and times of Pete Beachy.
Sun Room: The Overnight Success Of A Young Surf Band
What's it like touring the world and living off of McDonald's?
How Surfers Get Paid, Episode 6
An instructional manual for the modern professional surfer
Comments are a Stab Premium feature. Gotta join to talk shop.
Already a member? Sign In
Want to join? Sign Up