Today In Unsurprising News: Titans Of Mavericks Is Officially Cancelled
This comes as shocking as Richard Simmons' sexuality. Last week Stab reported on Cartel Management and Titans of Mavericks filing for chapter 11, at the time they stated the event could run. The chances of that were on par with Texas succeeding from the US...but, on the optimistic side, there was also the inclusion of their hopes for a bigger entity (cough) WSL to take over the event. And surely, BWT Commish Pete Mel is gleaming at the idea of adding his favourite cold water break to the tour.
So, a week after the Red Bull filed a lawsuit against Cartel Management and the Titans of Mavericks for $400k on account of a breach of contract, it has been reported that Cartel Management faces “claims of about $1.9 million and Titans of Mavericks faces more than $776,335, according to court records filed (last) Tuesday,” reads an article in the New York Times.
Brian Overfelt, one of the three Mavericks Invitational board members, told The Times, “The event is totally over this year." Stating that, “It’s impossible. There’s no way this event will happen. We were completely and totally blindside.”
And Jeff Clarke, the man who put Mavs on the map and the event’s founder told the Times there was a “disconnect between the surf community and event organisers, who lacked commitment to this sacred place in their heart and souls.”
“Our primary focus has always been to support the men and women who surf Mavericks and to preserve the sanctity of the wave and support our local community,” continued Jeff. “We have sacrificed much to create a stage for the world’s best big wave surfers. We are disappointed.”
The wrap: Mavs won't go. The inaugural inclusion of the ladies is a flop and cash continues to ruin everything around us.