Surfing’s 8 Power Couples
All photos courtesy of Instagram There was a time, not so long ago, when pro surfing couples just didn’t exist. Sure, you had Layne and Ken, but bless them, they weren’t exactly the height of glamour and sophistication. Now the gates of lust are truly open, and our little pro surfing bunnies are copulating like, well… […]
All photos courtesy of Instagram
There was a time, not so long ago, when pro surfing couples just didn’t exist. Sure, you had Layne and Ken, but bless them, they weren’t exactly the height of glamour and sophistication. Now the gates of lust are truly open, and our little pro surfing bunnies are copulating like, well… Here’s the eight most fabulous couples in surfing. Oh to be young, attractive, and paid to surf.
1. Alana Blanchard and Jack Freestone (above). It’s undeniable that the soon-to-qualify Jack Freestone and the queen of surf sex Alana Blanchard are the most significant union in surfing right now. The numbers simply do not lie. They mightn’t be the most interesting combo but what they lack in variety, they make up for with hi-fi skills and pure marketability.
The cross-pollination of these to would be a huge step for mankind.
2. Kelia Moniz and Mitch Crews. This is the most awesome couple in surfing, pipped for the top spot only by the sheer unit-moving capabilities of Jalana. The genetically gifted Gold Coast life-enthusiast and the gorgeous Hawaiian logger girl (with a penchant for large waves): You really couldn’t have scripted it better.
Tati’s backhand technique is one of the most solid offerings on the women’s tour. Expect her to put in a solid performance at the bay.
3. Tatiana Weston-Webb and Jesse Mendes. The best of things truly come in small packages and what a gift Tati WW has been for the women’s webcast. A tighter backhand you won’t see. And Jesse Mendes, well, he’s sponsored by Quiksilver and he’s got a hot girlfriend.
Bruna’s pretty much ripping at life right now. She’s paid to galavant around the globe as a Roxy ambassador, and her man, well just look at him!
4. Bruna Schmitz and Dane Zaun. The Brazilian beauty and California’s friendliest export. Bruna’s been a household name since dating Jeremy Flores back in the day and Dane’s an LA kid who you’d be hard pressed to find a negative report on. The totally cute thing about Bruna and Dane is that they share a house in LA with Mitch Crews and Kelia Moniz. Now that’s a genetically blessed quartet if ever there was one.
Love in the islands doesn’t get much sweeter than these two.
5. Monyca and Ola Eleogram. Surfing’s hottest married couple. Mon and Ola grew up next door to each other, and their love affair started when Mon (then Byrne-Wickey) was 16 and Ola was 20. The two have subsequently been married, and between trips spend their time growing organic vegetables on Kauai; truly a metaphor for their love.
Sharing your double scoop, that’s love.
6. Alessa Quizon and Caio Ibelli. What is it about Brazilian men that seems to attract Hawaiian women? Is it the same-same-but-different mentality? Are they instantly swept up in the passion? Caio Ibelli was the 2012 world Junior Champion, and Alessa’s actually from Makaha, that porky right on the West coast.
Anytime USA, sure is a hell of a place.
7. Tia Blanco and Colt Ward. Tia first popped into our consciousness when Google Alerts vomited the words “Tia Blanco” and “Playboy” into our mailboxes. Unfortunately, shooting for Playboy isn’t what it used to be, and the shoot was more swimwear catalogue than Wendy Botha, but there’s no denying that Tia’s one of the most promising talents in female surfing. And Colt, well, he’s a protective little monkey (#taken) with ample hi-fi skills and exceptionally white teeth.
Grey steel and candy floss, as contrasting as LA Smog and Hawaiian bluebirds.
8. Leila Hurst and Matt Pagan. The cute former World Junior Champ turned freesurfer girl with pink hair and the LA kid! Matt Pagan went viral earlier this year when his bottom turn in Indonesia was interrupted by a board pinging into his face courtesy of a bodged duckdive. Leila is just an all-round legend (see her IG for proof).
Hassling, Head-Dips, and Broken Apple Watches
The 2023 CT is underway. Here's what happened on Day One of the Billabong Pro…
Stephanie Gilmore And Filipe Toledo Are The 2022 Stab Surfers Of The Year
Caity and Hughie take Best Juniors, “NOZ VID” wins best film, and Ho and Pringle…
Red Bulls, Crypto Bears, Former’s Six-Figure Fish, Tyler’s Multi-Millions And More
A brief catalog of the latest surf industry news and whispers.
“Definitely The First Time I’ve Gone Surfing Via Plane”
Parker Coffin, Harrison Roach, and friends tear through NZ on Roark's most well-rounded surf trip…
Pipe Preview: This Year Feels Different
With John and Gabs healthy — and the arrival of the femme next-gen — here’s…
WSL Tells Competitors: ‘You Better Like Them Apples’
Will mandating competitors to wear Apple Watches make the 2023 tour more or less engaging?
Stab Surfer of the Year: John John Florence, Italo Ferreira, Balaram Stack, Rolo Montes, and Shaun Manners
Day 9: "You can't do better than his year last year." - John John Florence
Full Moon Surfs, Impassable Puddles, And A Few Nights Spent Sleeping In A WSL Commentary Booth
A reader-submitted collection of nonconformist surf stories.
Kael Walsh Now Owns A Bitcoin, And Watched One Crypto Video
He’s officially your Stab Edit Of The Year champion.
Carissa Moore And Finn McGill Are Your 2023 Vans Triple Crown Of Surfing Champions
They both pocket $50k and tickets to this year’s Vans Pipe Masters.
The Pick-Up, Presented By Vans, Episode 5
Mason Ho helps us ring in our final week on the North Shore.
Goofyfoot Brazilian World Champion Stars In Stab’s Biggest Board-Testing Franchise
Can you guess who?
Surf Community Rallies To Raise Funds For Eddie Winner And On-Duty Hawaiian Lifeguard Luke Shepardson
Because it's the right thing to do, of course.
Interview: Caity Simmers On Machete Wars, Rihanna, Personal Project Problems, And The Rise Of Female Surf Content.
A toast to ‘Toasted.’
Stab Surfer of the Year: Creed McTaggart, Albee Layer, Laura Enever, Dane Guduaskas, and Selema Masekela
Day 8: "65 years young and charging just as hard as ever at Pipe, Backdoor,…
“I’m Not A Big Wave Guy”
How Kai Paula accidentally made his mark at Jaws three weeks after surfing it for…